Top 10 Superfoods That Help You Lose Weight and Taste Great
Many of the foods we pass in the produce and grocery aisles not only taste good but have important health-promoting benefits as well. What if increasing your health, energy, and outlook were as simple as incorporating these everyday foods into your weekly eating regime?
Believe it or not… it is that simple! Here is a list of top 10 Superfoods that help You Lose Weight and the benefits you receive from eating them everyday.
No need to search high and low for these; any grocery store will have them all for you to include in your daily meals.
- This highly flavorful vegetable is high in the mineral sulfur, which is important for good liver health.
- It’s anti-fungal, anti-parasitic and anti-bacterial, which keeps all the bad microscopic organisms away.
- Eating it helps to decrease blood lipid levels (like cholesterol), prevents clot formations, and decreases blood pressure.
- It protects and fights against cancer cells.
- These properties are lost with cooking; add garlic at the end of the cooking time instead of the beginning to keep it raw.
- Broccoli helps to detoxify and eliminate harmful chemicals from the body.
- It removes excess hormones via the liver and slows cellular aging.
- It has a great anti-cancer effect in the body.
- Other cruciferous vegetables display these properties as well; eat cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts, collards, mustard greens, turnips, and cabbage more often.
3. Flax Seeds
- High in omega 3 fatty acids, flax seeds are beneficial for controlling inflammation, allergic response, emotional balance and good brain health.
- They are also high in lignans, a fiber that helps regulate estrogen and therefore helps with menopause, PMS, breast cancer, and depression.
- This seed also has anti-cancer, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties.
- To access these great properties, grind whole seeds in a coffee grinder and sprinkle on oatmeal or salads, or add to smoothies.
4. Leafy Greens
- Greens are high in antioxidants, fiber, vitamins, minerals and water.
- Being high in chlorophyll (the blood of plants), they have many nutrients great for your blood.
- They are excellent for cleansing the blood and body.
- When eaten raw, they are high in enzymes required for optimal digestion.
- Choose a variety of greens, like spinach, arugula, endive, leaf lettuce, oak lettuce, romaine, mesclun, mizuna, bibb, mustard greens, endive, kale, chard, dandelion, watercress, and parsley.
- This berry helps fight age-related conditions like Alzheimer’s disease and decreased vision.
- They help to decrease inflammation, important for preventing atherosclerosis and cancer.
- They help the liver detoxify chemicals and wastes from the body.
- Blueberries are one of the foods highest in antioxidants.
- Like garlic, onions help decrease blood lipid levels (like cholesterol), prevent clot formations, and decrease blood pressure.
- They aid in controlling blood sugar levels.
- Onions relax the bronchial muscles in the lungs during asthma attacks.
- They kill tumors – malignant and benign.
- Onions can be raw or cooked to receive these great health-promoting properties.
7. Coldwater Fish
- These fish are high in omega 3 fatty acids, including EPA and DHA.
- These fats help with poor memory, ADD/ADHD, poor vision, irritability and depression.
- They help to decrease inflammation – important for preventing atherosclerosis and cancer.
- Fish protect the cardiovascular system and decrease the risk of stroke.
- Choose small fish like anchovies, sardines, mackerel, and salmon; the smaller fish accumulate fewer toxins.
- Choose wild over farmed salmon. (All commercial Atlantic salmon is farmed.)
8. Green Tea
- Green tea is very high in antioxidants.
- It also contains polyphenol, a compound that prevents and stops the growth of cancerous tumors.
- EGCG is a compound found in green tea that is proven to reduce body fat.
- The process of fermenting green tea to black tea loses all these properties, so choose green tea more often.
- Tomatoes are high in lycopene – a compound that helps lower the risk of breast, colon, lung, skin, and prostate cancers.
- The carotenoids found in tomatoes decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer, and eye degeneration, while also improving mental function and supporting the immune system.
- These compounds are not damaged during cooking, so tomato sauces, pastes and salsas are also of great benefit.
- These are nature’s immune stimulants – they help fight infection and disease.
- These fungi destroy cancer cells while protecting healthy cells.
- Mushrooms help lower cholesterol levels.
- The mushrooms most studied are shiitake, maitake, and reishi, but the button and other common mushrooms are known to be of benefit as well.
These foods are all very common; how easy do you think it would be to incorporate them more often?
How about starting your day with oats with blueberries and ground flax seeds and having a big leafy green salad with cherry tomatoes and black beans for lunch and a dinner of salmon, steamed broccoli, and stir-fried mushrooms, onions, and garlic… with a few green tea breaks throughout the day?
That would get every one of these top 10 Superfoods that help You Lose Weight included in one day’s menu. Switch it up during the week… the possibilities are endless!